Careers at WaPo labs
Are you excited to roll up your sleeves and join the forefront of digital media?
If you're hungry to shape the future of journalism and you enjoy working in an environment where everyone makes an impact on a daily basis, WaPo Labs could be the place for you! Check out the job descriptions below, or, if you don't see an open role but are interested in joining the team, please contact us using the form on this page.
Location: San Francisco, CA
Do you want to work on software that will be seen and used by millions of people? Do you care about online news and the future of journalism?
WaPo Labs is hiring for its technology development team under the direction of its Chief Digital Officer. Our team is leading the effort to develop innovative products to evolve the online news experience.
- Self-starter is your middle name; you can take or come up with a high level idea, and run with it
- You have a real understanding of building products that work at web scale
- You can survey what's out there in the open source world, evaluate vendor products, or code it yourself
- You can communicate with technical and non-technical people alike, to show both technical command and functional command of what you are doing
- You're not afraid to crack open an existing code base and bend it to your will
- You like designing software, and thinking through how it fits into larger efforts before you dive in
- And most of all, you care about online news and the future of journalism
- BS or higher in Computer Science or related discipline
- 5+ years experience building software that works at web scale
- Strong team and communication skills
- Knowledge & experience across relevant stack:
- 3+ years of Python experience preferred
- Databases, both relational (MySQL) and NoSQL persistence stores
- Modern Web Architecture and Operation
- Web API design
- caching technologies (Memcache)
- deployment scripts (Chef, Puppet, etc.)
- Experience developing software on a UNIX platform
- Familiarity with any of the following would be a plus:
- open-source search engines (SOLR, Lucene)
- machine learning and scientific libraries (Mahout, SciPy)
- messaging technologies (AMQP, RabbitMQ, etc.)
- natural language processing
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org subject line SF Software Engineer
If you have a question, comment, or sweet idea you would like to share, we'd love to hear from you.
We're a part of The Washington Post Company (NYSE: WPO), a diversified education and media company whose principal operations include educational services, newspaper and magazine print and online publishing, television broadcasting and cable television systems. Our publications and products are respected by our colleagues and customers because of the integrity with which we run our business, the quality of our products, and our community leadership.