- We are WaPo Labs.
- Our Purpose
- Our unique and innovative team includes people with many different skill sets and backgrounds that together develop leading technology to take digital media to unprecedented heights. Teammates hail from Amazon, the campaign trail, and even Canada, to create the next generation of online journalism.
- Yuriko Horvath
- Yuriko is a senior engineer and pocket ninja code monkey at WaPo Labs — every developer group needs a pocket-sized developer specializing in fitting large engineering tasks into small spaces. Other responsibilities and hobbies include contract killing of R.O.U.S.'s and consuming caffeinated beverages.
- Yuri's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »TV Shows
- @squashedtwinkie on the Tweets
- Thao Tran
- On the Labs team, Thao handles the business operations side so that the engineers can keep coding. Some of it is fun — like business development, marketing, and analytics — and then there's the less fun stuff like legal, finance, and accounting. But she is most well known on the team for bringing candy to the office.
- Thao's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »Tina Fey
- Thao on Facebook
- Kelsey Costello
- Kelsey, who hails from a place in Maine where there is no cell phone reception, has been teleported to the land of extensive databases and mobile applications. In what was originally a foreign and exciting world, her background equipped her well to take on the future of digital media with gusto as Senior Business Development Manager.
- Kelsey's Favorite Trove Channels:
»Boston Red Sox
»2012 Presidential Election
- @kelsraesmith on the Tweets
- Emily K. Schwartz
- As an Assistant Editor at WaPo Labs, Emily helps ensure that content is ready and primed for the digital sphere. She is an avid Philadelphia Eagles and Phillies fan, a lover of outdoor adventures, and an aspiring cheese connoisseur. Talk with her about the intersection of media, technology, and innovation.
- Emily's Favorite Trove Channels:
- @EmilyKendall on the Tweets
- Annyce Davis
- One of our polyglot programmers, Annyce works on developing applications to enhance inter-site traffic and revenue opportunities. She also contributes to expanding WaPo Lab's technical skills in the mobile application environment. Annyce enjoys playing Word games, and she's sorry to disappoint but she doesn’t "tweet."
- Annyce's Favorite Trove Channels:
- Thomas Burke
- Thomas is a principal engineer with WaPo Labs. Thomas came to WaPo Labs from Democratic politics, where he built huge systems to raise money and find votes. If he weren't working, and his ancient Atomic 4 were reliable, he'd be sailing the Chesapeake with his wife and two kids.
- Thomas's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »Lady Gaga
- Milo Milovanovic
Milo is a principal systems engineer for the Labs team which encompasses the infrastructure the team uses to run services. In addition to building things in the office, he is also a home improvement master. In his spare time, he enjoys riding his bike.
- Milo's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »Housing Bubble
- Bernie Pulliam
- Bernie joined the WaPo Labs team as the Executive Assistant and Office Manager after spending ten (very long) years in the corporate accounting office. Along with his corporate experience, Bernie brings to Labs his laughter and his sense of humor which help us all through the day. Bernie claims to have been hired by the Post's matriarch, Katharine Graham, to work in the corporate office.
- Bernie's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »Ice Cream
- Alex Nazarov
- Alex took an adventurous path from Russia to Canada to Seattle to Washington DC, where he currently resides. Previous jobs include internships at Bombardier, Autodesk, and Morgan Stanley, working on Amazon.com's algorithms for predictive inventory arrival times, and even a customer management system for lawyers in the Cayman Islands. While not working on numerous Trove-related systems, he enjoys a good round of golf, a relaxing time on a roof deck, and answering 'yes' to every question.
- Alex's Favorite Trove Channels:
- Greg Lavallee
- Greg's Favorite Trove Channels:
- @greglavallee on the Tweets
- Jay Stricks
- Jay is a data operations engineer working on Labs’ data flow infrastructure and monitoring. Originally from New Orleans, Jay has become a permanent transplant in the DC area since arriving in 2005. If it's spicy and has a good rhythm, he's probably into it.
- Jay's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »LSU Football
»New Orleans Saints
- @JayStricks on the Tweets
- Christopher Azar
- This interaction designer and pixel pusher is an orangemen hailing from Syracuse University. Azar was a dual Graphic Design major at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and Public Policy major at the Maxwell School of Public Affairs. He's originally from Rhode Island and is an avid Red Sox fan (through thick and very thin). He loves photography, gadgets, and cycling.
- @ReptarAzar on the Twitter
- Todd Cass
- Todd is Principal Engineer in the San Francisco office of WaPo Labs, which he joined as part of the iCurrent team. He has alternated coasts a few times — beginning in the Seattle area, moving to Boston for school, and landing permanently back on the west coast. In his free time, he enjoys exploring SF's booming food scene and camping in the wilds of Northern Cali's Mendocino County.
- Todd's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »Media and Democracy
- Jeff Beam
- Born in DC, Jeff spent his formative years traveling the world as a foreign service brat before settling in Northern Virginia. Prior to joining WaPo Labs as a UI Engineer, he held such posts as layout monkey for BudgetTravel.com and Joanne.com, sys admin for Disney, sound designer, video editor, and piano tuner. When not on the Yankee side of the Potomac in the office, Jeff enjoys wrestling with his kids and sleeping.
- Jeff's Favorite Trove Channels:
- @threecleartones on the Tweets
- Sean P. McBride
- Sean dug his way out of the snow and ice of Syracuse, NY and immediately ran south to warmer weather. First and foremost, he is a hockey fan, but his passion for theoretical research and emerging technologies has lead to a devotion to the future of journalism, especially between periods and during the off-season.
- Sean's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »Philadelphia Flyers
- @seanpmcb on the Tweets
- Matt Bryan
- Ever since his middle school choir director told him his talents "would be better suited on the technical side of the production," Matt abandoned his dreams of the stage and figured out how to tinker with computers. When he's not launching spurious Hadoop clusters at work, he's judging competition barbecue, playing tennis, listening to old-time country music, reading stuff, learning guitar, cooking, and building a robot.
- Matt's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »Charlie Kaufman
- @DataMattB on the Tweets
- Michael Ferguson
- Michael ensures that Trove users have a simple, intuitive user experience. He has helped create award-winning user experiences since 1993 for Ask, Oracle, and Stanford's Graduate School of Business, among others. Michael holds a BA in British and American Literature from New College of Florida.
- Michael's Favorite Trove Channels:
- Brian Neumann
- Brian is a software engineering manager in the WaPo Labs San Francisco office. Prior to working at WaPo Labs, Brian worked for iCurrent and Inxight Software as a software engineer. On the weekends, he enjoys wearing a helmet, whether it's for mountaineering, skiing, or cycling on one of the Bay Area's many country roads.
- Brian's Favorite Trove Channels:
»California Budget Crisis
- @brianneumann on the Tweets
- Uday, just Uday
- Uday is currently shepherding mobile apps at Labs. He is a veteran in glass shattering and lives off handsome commissions selling product warranties. He loves carpentry and looks forward to one day building cabinetry for George Lucas.
- Uday's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »Christopher Hitchens
- Moshe Cohen
- Moshe arrived at WaPo Labs from iCurrent, where he architected and built the harvesting tier (which, contrary to common belief, is not related to farming). Moshe has 20 years of experience designing and implementing software projects on a wide range of platforms for startups and mature companies. His actual day job is top secret. In order to keep agent status, he works from home in a time zone far away from the rest of WaPo Labs.
- Moshe's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »European Soccer
- Moshe on Facebook
- Spiro Roiniotis
- A life-long programming aficionado, Spiro did his undergraduate thesis using Objective C a decade before the iPhone appeared. When he's not at work, he keeps busy maintaining a black belt in Shotokan Karate, trying to find time to read the weekend newspaper, and dreaming about the days when his kids will be old enough to travel the world. Spiro is proud that his ancient forbears invented democracy, philosophy, and modern civilization, and he promises never to code a Trojan horse.
- Spiro's Favorite Trove Channels:
»Alexander the Great
- @spiridon on the Tweets
- David Price
- David came to Wapo Labs via iCurrent, where he curated many of the channels and sources that now power a variety of Labs products. Prior to iCurrent, he spent eight years as a Search Editor at Yahoo!, where he tracked search trends and helped maintain the Yahoo! directory. When not trolling the Web for fascinating news and tidbits, he likes to cook, rock climb with his kids, and wander around flea markets.
- David's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »Indie Music
- Emily Hazzard
- Emily is an assistant editor who came to Labs from prior stints at Al Jazeera and The Atlantic. She loves an open editorial process and the phrase "still in beta" makes her whiskers twitch. Originally of southern extraction, Emily’s other interests include loud rap, good food, fanciful footwear, geek culture, and staying directly plugged into the Internet.
- Emily's Favorite Trove Channels:
- Eric Westby
- Eric leads product development in WaPo Labs' San Francisco office. He comes to Labs from KQED, the nation's largest NPR and PBS affiliate, where he helped lead the newsroom's digital conversion. Prior to KQED, Eric was a product manager at Yahoo! News and director of TheAtlantic.com. He's also co-owner of one of YouTube's most popular dogs – Google the phrase "puppy or chicken" to see for yourself.
- Eric's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »Choral Music
»Gay and Lesbian Issues
- Miranda Willis
- A champion for the online consumer experience, Miranda joined WaPo Labs in order to bring the team’s revenue-enhancing products to life. Passionate about connecting people with things they care about, she crafts contextual monetization strategies to improve users’ digital media experiences. A long-term Arlingtonian, Miranda enjoys hanging out with her family, spoiling her tiny black pug, Cimorene, trolling galleries, and donning a pair of boxing gloves.
- Miranda's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »Kick Boxing
»Tae Kwon Do
»Museums and Galleries
- Linda Uyechi
- Linda works in the San Francisco office, expanding and improving the treasure of entities and topics at the heart of the Trove engine. She came to Trove as the resident linguist of the iCurrent team. Prior to iCurrent she had incarnations in electrical engineering and university teaching, then settled into computational linguistics at Inxight and PARC. When not sifting through the day's data, Linda is immersed in North American taiko.
- Linda's Favorite Trove Channels:
- »Hawaiian Music