- Larian Studios releases hotfix #8 for Baldur’s Gate 3, addressing crashes and issues, and reverting companions’ behavior back to Patch 2.
- The highly requested change to the fan favorite cat, His Majesty, has been made in the hotfix, returning it to its original shaved Sphynx look.
- His Majesty recently underwent a visual change, prompting a new debate within the community as many demanded Larian to revert the cat back to the Sphynx style.
Larian Studios releases the eighth hot fix update for Baldur’s Gate 3, and it also brings a highly requested change to the fan favorite cat, His Majesty. Released in full back in August, Baldur’s Gate 3 has gone on to become a major success for Larian Studios both in sales and popularity. Even after a lengthy early access period, Larian has continued to support the game through updates and hot fixes, improving the overall experience for its players.
Unfortunately, the patching process isn’t always a smooth one, especially for a game that invites players to tackle objectives and quests in many different ways. The recent Baldur’s Gate 3 update called Patch 3 reportedly introduced a number of bugs and issues ranging from minor inconveniences to outright game breaking. As the community continued to keep a running list of known issues, Larian seemingly got to work and put together a new hot fix to address many of these issues but also providing more quality of life updates to the popular RPG.
RELATED: Adorable Animal Crossing Fan Art Imagines Villagers as Baldur’s Gate 3 Characters
Announced by Larian through the Baldur’s Gate 3 social media account on X, formerly known as Twitter, Hotfix 8 includes a number of changes and updates to “several crashes and issues.” One of the bigger pieces to this hot fix involves companions, as Larian has revealed that the studio reverted party members back to their Patch 2 behavior. When they’re dismissed, they’ll no longer transfer all story items in their inventory to the player. Players will also see plenty of crash fixes within the patch notes as well.
Hotfix 8 also has some changes to the fan favorite Baldur’s Gate cat known as His Majesty. Originally appearing within Act 2, the cat has seen a few changes as it originally appeared as a Sphynx type of cat, but was later patched and given hair in a more traditional style look instead of being fully shaved. The change set off a big debate within the community, with many demanding that Larian change His Majesty back. With Hotfix 8, His Majesty is once again shaved and appearing like the typical Sphynx style as it was previously.
With the latest fix to His Majesty, Larian has already proven to be a studio that listens to its players. In fact, Patch 3 also brought with it a highly requested feature called the Magic Mirror, giving Baldur’s Gate 3 players a way to make appearance changes to their character after the fact. There are some elements that are set in stone, but for players that want to tweak general appearances, pronouns, and their character’s voice, the Magic Mirror can make that happen.
Baldur’s Gate 3 Hotfix 8 Patch Notes
- Companions will no longer transfer story items in their inventory to the player upon dismissal, restoring Patch 2 behaviour.
- Fixed reaction popups sometimes showing no text descriptions of the reactions available.
- Fixed a multiplayer crash that would occur when listening to a dialogue after an active roll.
- Eavesdrop will no longer trigger when a character is in any Character Creation session, such as level up or the magic mirror.
- Fixed a bug in Vulkan causing DEVICE_LOST crashes.
- Fixed a bug where Skeletons created using Animate Dead were missing their ranged weapons, despite specialising in them.
- Fixed an issue where the Weapon Master Feat would show as incomplete if a player was already proficient with all weapons.
- Fixed a crash when re-assigning characters in splitscreen.
- Fixed a visual issue with volumetric fog and materials generation.
- Fixed an issue with invalid savegames being created.
- Restored Raphael’s hair colour and horns. The House of Hope is once again fashion-forward.
- Fixed an issue where Splint Armour for Githyanki Females caused some unnecessarily psychedelic visual effects.
- Shaved His Majesty, who is once again a Sphynx. Steelclaw’s eye colour has been adjusted so they are no longer identical twins.
- Fixed Raphael’s portraits after restoring his hair colour. Maybe he’s born with it, maybe it’s Avernus.
- Fixed Twitch drops not being claimable on PS5.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is available now on PC and PS5.
MORE: Baldur’s Gate 3: Complete Guide & Walkthrough