- In the ninth hotfix for Baldur’s Gate 3, players can now change their character’s name and hirelings’ appearances using the Magic Mirror.
- The update also includes various bug fixes, addressing issues such as crashes, GPU crashes on PS5 Vulkan, and black screen bugs in split-screen multiplayer.
- All updates released so far will likely be included in the Xbox Series X/S port, which is set to launch later in 2023.
The ninth hotfix for Baldur’s Gate 3 is available for download as of Friday, Larian Studios has announced. This update arrives just three days after the developer shaved one Baldur’s Gate 3 cat as part of the game’s eighth minor patch.
The Belgian studio has been hard at work polishing its latest RPG ever since Baldur’s Gate 3 released to critical acclaim on August 3. Since then, the company pushed out a dozen patches in total, including three major updates containing balancing changes and even some additional content.
RELATED: Baldur’s Gate 3 Player Regrets Going into the Game Blind
And though the game’s latest patch is characterized as a mere hotfix, it still sneaks in a couple of new features, including the ability to change the main character’s name by interacting with the Baldur’s Gate 3 Magic Mirror, which was first added to the RPG in late September. This enchanted piece of glass now also supports altering the appearances of hirelings, the minions that can be recruited from Withers at the camp in order to replace any member of the game’s main companion cast in combat.
Furthermore, the October 6 hotfix update for Baldur’s Gate 3 adjusted the line-of-sight properties of sightless entities, including traps and items. Other than that, the patch packs 15 fixes for everything from minor bugs to technical issues that could have led to crashes. The update also eliminates one particularly annoying problem that would occasionally cause a black screen in split-screen multiplayer on the PS5, depending on certain dialogue triggers.
The ninth hotfix for Baldur’s Gate 3 will bump the game’s version number up to 18.104.22.16867641. Steam users should see the update download automatically, which is also the default behavior on the PS5. In case the PlayStation version of the game isn’t updating on its own despite the console having internet connectivity, players are advised to check whether the Automatic Updates option under the Saved Data and Game/App Settings menu is enabled.
All Baldur’s Gate 3 updates that Larian released to date are expected to be included in the game’s Xbox Series X/S port from day one. However, that version of the RPG is still lacking a release date, having originally fallen behind the PS5 port due to Larian’s struggles with supporting split-screen multiplayer on the Series S.
Baldur’s Gate 3 Hotfix #9 Update Patch Notes
- You can now use the Magic Mirror on hirelings.
- You can now change your name through the Magic Mirror.
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur when unloading or quickloading a game.
- Fixed an issue causing GPU crashes on PS5 Vulkan.
- Fixed the Guardian Statue repeatedly falling into a chasm, causing the server to stall.
- Fixed a splitscreen issue on PS5 that could cause a black screen when listening in on a dialogue.
- Fixed unpreparing spells not removing their buffs if the spell was upcasted.
- Fixed buffs being removed by unpreparing spells if the buff came from a different source (e.g. a scroll).
- Fixed some character positions and animations breaking if you skip lines in certain dialogues.
- Fixed the previews not working correctly in the Accessibility options.
- Fixed an issue causing Minthara’s romance to unreliably trigger.
- Fixed Minthara’s dialogue after you kill Orin not triggering properly when you talk to her.
- Fixed the Adamantine Splint Armour sometimes making your legs transparent.
- Fixed a geometry stretching bug introduced in Hotfix 8 on Vulkan.
- Fixed characters showing up in their underwear in some intimate scenes even if you have nudity enabled.
- Fixed Feign Death causing an infinite leave–join combat loop in certain circumstances.
- Fixed prices in dialogues not displaying correctly in savegames that were made while the price was on screen.
- Optimised the line-of-sight system for entities with no sight range, like items.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is available now on PC and PS5. An Xbox Series X/S port is expected to launch in late 2023.
MORE: Baldur’s Gate 3: Should You Use Tadpoles and Illithid Powers?