The definition of light energy and the knowledge of this form of energy will be covered in this article. It has been applied a lot in life, which is light energy. Light energy plays an extremely important role in human life, contributing to life and being an indispensable source of energy for organisms on Earth. Let’s follow the article to understand more about the definition of light energy.
Definition of light energy?
What is light energy? The definition of light energy: Light energy is a form of radiant energy and can be seen and transmitted in waves. In other words, radiant energy is a form of electromagnetic energy. It can be in the form of visible waves — which we call light energy — or invisible waves such as radio waves or X-rays.
Light is a miracle, it makes it possible to see everything, it is electromagnetic radiation whose wavelengths are in the spectral region visible to the naked eye. During the day, we can see the light everywhere, it is an integral part of life. Scientists have spent a lot of effort studying light, its nature along with special applications such as solar energy for photosynthesis.
In general, light energy is all around us. They can be used to mine and melt metals or used to heat our food.
Components of light energy
The main component of light energy is the photon.
Light is a common word for electromagnetic radiation whose wavelengths are in the spectrum region visible to the human eye (i.e. from about 380 nm to 700 nm). Like every electromagnetic radiation from light can be described as waves of moving particles called photons.
How light energy travel?
Light energy will be transmitted, or moved in a straight line. So in transparent and neutral environments, the light will be transmitted in a straight line. This is the law of direct propagation of light.
Basically, light energy travels at very high speeds (299,792,458 m/s) and at different wavelengths, depending on its energy. It acts as both a wave and a particle, being able to travel through environments (such as air and water) as well as vacuum space. It has no mass, but can still be absorbed, reflected, or refracted if it travels to a certain medium. And finally, the only thing that can deflect it, or capture it, is gravity (i.e. the case of black holes).
Example of light energy
The most powerful example of light energy is sunlight energy. – It is necessary to prioritize the use of sunlight energy because this is an energy source that can be considered infinite, green, clean, and environmentally friendly. The use of solar energy to replace fossil fuels also contributes to reducing environmental pollution and the greenhouse effect.
- During the day, open the window to receive sunlight and no need to turn on the light.
- Use light energy to dry clothes or dry anything.
- Every day, the moment you wake up, the first thing you see is sunlight, which is a form of light energy. Light energy in the morning gives you warmth, or it keeps the Earth warm to sustain life. In addition, the light energy from sunlight is what is used to balance the ecosystem. Without light energy, the world would collapse.
In everyday life, there are many other sources of light energy such as candles, flashes, fires, electric light bulbs, oil lamps, stars and other bright objects.
Uses of light energy in life
In this article “Definition of light energy – How it changes our life”, we will find out more about the use of light energy in natural life and our daily life.
Light energy is extremely important for the growth and development of all living things on Earth.
Light energy greatly affects the physiological activity of plants such as photosynthesis, respiration, etc. And the ability of the plant to absorb water. For plants, the role of light greatly affects the process of photosynthesis and creates nutrients to feed the plant, helping the plant grow stably for a long time.
The role of light energy greatly affects the process of germination, budding, flowering, and fruiting of all crops. With different strong and weak light intensities make the process of germination and flowering as fast or slow as well.
When plants are provided with light energy at the best conditions, they grow optimally. Since then, there are enough crops to meet the food needs of people.
In addition, light energy also has many impacts on animals in nature.
- Light energy impacts the fertility of many animals: Spring and summer have long days, so the great source of light energy should be good for the breeding season of many birds,…
- Light energy also has an impact on the activity of many animals such as nocturnal animals, in land burrows, deep water,….(bats, squirrels, owls,…) or daytime activities (buffaloes, cows, warblers,…).
The effects of light energy on humans include:
- First, light energy helps change people’s emotions.
According to a study by scientists at the University of Toronto Scarborough (Canada), light intensity has the ability to influence people’s emotions and decisions. Namely, with a soft and not too bright amount of light, people will make more rational and informed decisions.
- Furthermore, light energy from the sun also impacts serotonin – a neurotransmitter and hormone secreted by the hypothalamus, allowing brain cells and neurons to communicate with each other. This is a substance that plays an important role in regulating sleep, eating habits and maintaining a stable mood. When there is more sunlight, serotonin releases more, leading to many people suffering from seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
- Light energy from the sun plays an important role in the production of vitamin D, helping the body absorb calcium and minerals better. As a result, the body bone structure will be stronger.
- Light energy helps prevent myopia. A lack of dopamine causes the eyes to stretch, leading to nearsightedness while sunlight helps stimulate dopamine production. As such, children who are exposed to more sunlight may be less likely to be nearsighted. However, sunlight has almost no effect on children who are already nearsighted.
- Light energy also makes it easier for people to fall asleep. Sunlight plays an important role in regulating the “biological clock” inside the human body, and it needs to be reset every day to accommodate changes in light. This adjustment process takes place due to exposure to light and darkness. Heavy and frequent sunlight exposure will help the brain fall asleep when it is dark, thereby helping you sleep better.
- Light energy also helps to cure diseases with the following types of rays: Ultraviolet rays, Infrared rays and lasers.
We create technology that can harness the power of light
Here are some very practical applications from light energy to serve people’s daily lives:
- With light energy, people have applied to the use of light bulbs. Because human life will become gloomy if there is a lack of light and all activities will immediately be stopped and in that dark night, people cannot work and live.
- The most special is the application of light energy to transform into solar energy, which is one of the endless and promising energy sources.
Applications of solar energy in life include:
- The light energy from the sun obtained through the parabolic heat collector pans will be used to cook food at very high temperatures. The food tank is placed in the middle of a mirrored hemisphere to reflect and focus the sun’s rays on the container.
To maintain the temperature, a nylon transparent heat bag is placed around the container.
The heat collector pan needs to regularly adjust the rotation in the direction of the sun to get the most sun.This application is used for cooking in large quantities and is mined in many parts of the world, especially China.
- Solar-powered cars usually have several solar panels on the hood. As for solar bikes, solar panels are mounted on the driver’s shirt. These vehicles are mainly used for demonstration and engineering testing purposes. The driver can monitor the amount of energy consumed and the amount of solar energy obtained through the meters installed on the vehicle.
- Traffic lights using solar energy have the advantage of not needing to use wires and are quite flexible, which can save a lot of electricity bills when operating continuously for a long time. They are designed with some eco-friendly LED bulbs and do not need to be recharged for quite some time.In the event of a power outage, these traffic lights continue to operate.
Through this article “Definition of light energy – How it changes our life”, we can easily see how important the role of light energy is in human life. Light energy is still considered a clean and abundant source of energy. Hopefully, through the article introducing the definition of light energy as well as the application of this type of energy, you have a better understanding of this wonderful energy.